Re: Infozone

I Cc: this to the Infozone list.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> >
> > Hi Neeme and all,
> >
> > from time to time the ozoneXML/Infozone/Prowler thing was mentioned here in the
> > Cocoon list. Now I would like to announce the official release of the Infozone
> > site at http://infozone-group.org.
> >
> > The Infozone project is an open initiative for the creation of an open source,
> > Java and XML based framework of components that allows programmers to create
> > complex Enterprise Information Portal applications.
> >
> > Check it out. All help is welcome ;)
>
> Falko,
>
> while I love that something like this happened, I'm a little concerned
> about the license you guys developped. It's a hybrid between GPL and
> BSD, contains both the BSD adversiting clause and GPL virality.
>
> The ASF board of members recently ruled that no GPL/LGPL code can be
> distributed with any of the Apache projects. Sure, we are allowed (and
> suggested) to collaborate to other OSS communities that have different
> licenses, but the users will have to download the other packages
> themselves and connect the two.
>
> I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
>
> It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
I know. Although I like simple BSD style licenses I explicitely decided to use
(L)GPL. The combination of LGPL for API packages and GPL for core packages
is meant to allow people to use Infozone without the need to put their code
under any special license *and* forces developers, especially companies, to
contribute their enhancements. Many companies are interested in the
Infozone thing. The most of them will just use it but the more they become
familiar with it the more they are able to modify/enhance it to meet their
needs. I don't see a reason why we shouldn't force them to contribute their
code. Is there any?

> Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
> felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
> efforts with us or the FSF.

The are to many GNU projects. They all share the same license but that's all
about it.

Just personal curiosity: do you think there is a chance to get Infozone under
the Apache umbrella? I was assuming that there is no such chance...

> Anyway, I'll take a look at your projects with great interests and hope
> that we can continue collaboration in the future.
Great, thanks!