Re: object change notification

Ann, I Cc: this to the list. I hope this is okay.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Ann Tecklenburg wrote:
> Well, to some extent, JSDT adds a separate server
> to handle the object change stuff.
>
>  I suspect there is some overhead to assuming that every object is
> interested in being handled by the JSDT.
>
> So some thought must be given as to
> whether or not the JSDT should be at the core
> of Ozone so that all objects automatically get this
> feature or whether objects can merely be externally
> enabled for this feature, if desired.
The proposed plug-in architecture could be fine for this. A special plug-in
could integrate a JSDT based notification system. Maybe this could also be the
default notification system of ozone. However, other implementations could be
integrated very easy.

> I can tell you for sure that few (none?) databases at any price
> have a change notification mechanism built-in.
Then let's do it!

If anybody is real interested in contributing by writing a notification or
other plug-ins, then I could put the making of the plug-in system up on my
todo list.

l ozone database (using LocalDatabase)

>     for objects_number = 10,100,1000 do
>       create(objects_number, size)
>      	read(objects_number)
>   		destroy(objects_number)
>     end for
>
>     close connection
>
>   end for
>

>   But I think it isn't the correct solution.
Unfortunately you didn't send the complete code so I have to write my own to
check this ;) Anyway, I will do so. Maybe it's a good canditate for a new
test or sample.

> 	If transactions that involve a change in the objects state, driven by the
> interface marked methods (with /*update*/), how can I manage transactions
> involving the creation and destruction of objects?.
The only way to create and destroy database objects are the API methods
createObject() and deleteObject(). These methods implicitely have WRITE lock
level. Does this answer your question?