Re: Database size problem

El Fri, 23 de Jun de 2000, a les 03:06:37PM +0200, Falko Braeutigam va escriure:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Cèsar Ordiñana wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> >   I've done a little program to test ozone, by creating, reading and deleting
> > an incremental number of objects, with incremental size. The basic algorithm
> > is:
>
> First of all, I'm afraid your create/read/destroy methods are not methods of
> a database object and so they run outside the server, right? This results in
> very poor performance, _and_ causes transaction problems. Although all ozone
> samples promote another design for ozone applications I see this again and
> again. Well, it's probably my failure because ozone still lacks documentation
> but on the other hand I'm not sure if written docu is better than sample code.

  Well, I've re-readen all the documentation an the web, and I think I
understand you now. It's the problem of changing from relational to OO
databases.

  Because of this, I think my test is useless now. An ozone database will
contain relatively complex and big objects with some kind of relation between
them (the data from an application), not a big amount of little unrelated ones.
At least it served to me to undertand things.

> >   It works as expected if I put the open/close connection into the first loop,
> > like this:
> >
> >   for size = 10,100,1000,10000 do
> >
> >     open connection to local ozone database (using LocalDatabase)
> >
> >     for objects_number = 10,100,1000 do
> >       create(objects_number, size)
> >      	read(objects_number)
> >   		destroy(objects_number)
> >     end for
> >
> >     close connection
> >
> >   end for
> >

> >   But I think it isn't the correct solution.
> Unfortunately you didn't send the complete code so I have to write my own to
> check this ;) Anyway, I will do so. Maybe it's a good canditate for a new
> test or sample.

  The problem I was seeing here is when you delete an object (a lot of ones
in this case) from the database, it isn't really deleted from the database
files until the connection is closed. That's correct?

> > 	If transactions that involve a change in the objects state, driven by the
> > interface marked methods (with /*update*/), how can I manage transactions
> > involving the creation and destruction of objects?.
> The only way to create and destroy database objects are the API methods
> createObject() and deleteObject(). These methods implicitely have WRITE lock
> level. Does this answer your question?

  Yeah! I've seen the light ;)

  Thank you a lot!

	Bon profit

Cèsar Ordiñana  -  cordin@iti.upv.es    /////  |||||  \\\\\
Inst. Tecnològic d'Informàtica           /       |       \
Universitat Politècnica de València   /////      |      \\\\\
Valencia - España
Tfn: 96 387 72 37