Re: proxy objects

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Stan Pinte wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have a question which doesn't seen to be documented:
>
> I have a database object (extending OzoneObject), which contains a HashMap,
> which contains Vectors, which contains other Database objects (extending
> OzoneObject).
>
> Am I authorized to do this? I have the feeling that the HashMap and the
> Vectors will have to be more or less "database-aware"...

This should work without problems. The database objects which are stored in the
HashMap are proxies in reality. This is all the database wareness you need.

There are pitfalls with the use of java2 collections however. One is that you
cannot give an iterator of such a Collection to the outside of the datbase
object that it belongs to. We discussed this some time ago. Anyway, IMO you
should go ahead writing your code and come back with concrete
questions/problems when they actually arise.