Re: Ozone speed

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Stan Pinte wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have a small problem:
>
> I have a simple client-server program, which is doing 150 writes to the
> database, and this takes more or less 12 seconds...I guess I have done
> something wrong.
>
> Would someone point me to some good benchmarking code?

See the samples in $OZONE_HOME/samples. You may start with simple and then
check the OO1 benchmark sample.

You probably did your 150 "writes" (calling update methods I guess) from the
client code. Thus, each method call results in a roundtrip to the server and a
complete transaction begin/prepare/commit cycle - which is probably not
intended and slow. Putting the 150 item loop into a method of a database object
is the solution. It's much faster _and_ encloses the entire work in _one_
transaction.

This (very important) point isn't covered that much in the current docs. The
Ozone Doc Project is underway to change this. :)
Any news for the users list from the ODP crew?