BLOB loses data when I reopen local database

I am using BLOBs on a local database.  As long as the same database
instance is running I have no problem retrieving data I have loaded.  I can
recall the BLOB using objectForName(..).  I can reload all classes.  The
data is there.  However, if I close the database and then reopen it the
BLOB is still there (objectForName(..) returns a valid BLOB object) but the
data seems to be gone.  The available() and read() methods show no data.

Has anyone else had this problem.  I'm fairly new to Ozone, and am not sure
if I'm missing something obvious or there is a more substantial problem.

Thanks for any help,

David Olivier