RE: real world examples

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Reason wrote:
> > > Now I am planning a C/S remote control system and I want some
> > more reference material to see
> > > the prossiblity of using Ozone in the background.
> >
> > As always, if ozone suits your needs highly depends on your particular
> > requirements. The best way to find out is to make a (very)
> > limited prototype
> > and just test it.
> >
> > Anyway, some reference projects would be fine anyhow. So please guys, help
> > us by giving back your real-world experiences. This would help
> > newbies a lot to find out about ozone, gets us more users, gets us better
> > visibility, gets us ahead. Thanks ;)
>
> My real-world experience:
Thanks :)

> I'm having considerable difficulty producing a solution for a generic data
> layer with Ozone that is stable under multithreading -- external
> transactions kill me. Or rather, they crash the server for even simple
> applications providing that the threads are following one another closely
> enough.

Hmmm... so there must be some kind of race condition inside the
ExternalDatabase code.

What does this mean "crash the server"? Do you have a stack trace or something?
I never, under no circumstances, saw an ozone server actually "crash" (actually
stop execution), with the exception of JVM crashes.

Sorry, if you already provided this information.

> Admittedly, this may be the sort of project that isn't completely suited to
> OODBMS -- i.e. some aspects of business logic for an app built in the
> generic data layer are not going to make it into the database server -- but
> I can code the complex and potentially time-consuming low-level stuff (like
> non-trivial cross-referencing and searching in large collections of objects)
> to run inside the database server. So I view this as a worthwhile project.
> Provided of course I can get it to work :)

So can we add it to our reference page? Together with some sentences about the
role of ozone in the project, status, plans and problems regarding ozone?

Falko