BLOBs and transaction (misleading BLOB example?)

I sent a previous post that I was experiencing a problem with the
persistence of data in BLOBs.  As long as the same database instance was
open I could read and write data, but if I closed and reopened the
database, the blob was there but the data was gone.  Finally after much
trial and error I discovered that if I wrap the blob creation and write in
a transaction, the data is persistent.

I didn't find this idiosyncrasy in any of the documentation that comes with
Blobs although I eventually found it briefly mentioned in the documentation
for ExternalTransactions.  The Blob examples seem to be misleading, because
although one of them uses an explicit transaction for reading, none of them
use transactions for creating or writing blobs.  When I modified the
example to close and reopen the database before reading, I had the same
problem; the blob was persistent but the data wasn't (note: I also modified
the example to run on a local database, but I don't think that should make
a difference).  Is anyone aware of more detailed documentation on the use
of transactions with blobs?

Thought I'd pass it along. Thanks.

David Olivier