RE: Indexing XML documents

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000, Ashvil wrote:
> The Stanford Lore project seems to have done some research work in
> this area. It is not an Open Source project but they have many papers
> out on this subject.

They are using their own query language. Because of the lack of any
alternative we have to use XPath. But XPath is not intended to be used for
querying a la SQL. IMO indexing isn't useful for XPath per se. XPath
much deals with paths like " /PLAY/ACT/TITLE". Using the DTD is the way to
speed up path processing. And for the real searches like
"[../SCENE/SPEECH/SPEAKER='CLEOPATRA']" simple indexes are not useful because
the result set is most often qualified (read: one cannot simply use the SPEAKER
index, which probably contains all SPEAKERS of the document, in the above
example)

So the the question is, could indexing help to speed up XPath anyhow or is it
"inherently non-indexable".