RE: [ANNOUNCE] ozone 0.5.5

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Aadithya Deshpande wrote:
> if you go with 1.1 the ibm linux jdk v1.1.8 is by far the fastest, coming
> very close to their windows and os/2 implementations ( which are considered
> to be two of the fastest )
>
> jdk 1.2.2 from blackdown includes the sunwjit ( symantec jit compiler ).
> the sun supported version ( 1.2.2_006 ) is the same.  the best jit for 1.2
> on linux is the Inprise/Borland javacomp jit, it's a lot faster ( using
> caffeinemark ) than the sun/symantec one.  tya is good ( exceptional for a
> clean room implementation, imho ). the sunwjit, i've noticed, is better at
> awt graphics, but less so at overall speed.
>
> i'm sorry if this is not the place for a jvm discussion, but i thought i'd
> share my experiences.

Thanks for these insights, aadi. Although I tried all the above mentioned jdks
I didn't have the time to make a benchmark table or something that shows ozone
performance under the different jdks. Would be great to have such thing... ;)
It would help people to choose an jdk. I've found that that the different jdks
shows very different behaviour together with ozone. For example IBM and Sun
jdk 1.3 show the same performance for a simple integer test. However, when more
than one clients connect the ozone server Sun needs more than 50% of the
processor time for synchronization on a dual-processor machine! IBM is much
faster here - but it hangs after 3 - 4 hours up time... Volunteers?

Thanks,