RE: OOQuery Language

Title: RE: OOQuery Language

Falko,
        From what I'm reading here (and I really just skimmed it)
it sounds like you object (and your reasons are sound) to
having OOQL built into Ozone.

How about building an OOQL to Ozone bridge, that would do all of the
by hand work?

Here's my example.  I'm working on a Laboratory Information Management
System, one of the basic requirements for most labs is a SQL-like language
so that they can print reports and such.

If someone were to build a bridge(separate from ozone) that accepted
queries and spit back collections, would that be an acceptable solution? To
both you and the people in need of ooql?

I've been following this list for a while, and it looks like
Ozone suits 75%+ of our needs(which to date seems to
be more than anyone else!), so I'd like to try and figure
out some way to make everyone happy here.

RobK

-----Original Message-----
From: Falko Braeutigam [mailto:falko@smb-tec.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 8:09 AM
To: bhat prashanth; ozone-users@ozone-db.org
Subject: Re: OOQuery Language

According to the ozone documentation:
"The main goal of ozone is to add persistence and transactions to the Java
object model in a transparent manner. ozone applications should look and work
like ordinary Java applications."

ozone does not introduce a new type system, object or computation model like
ODMG/OQL does. It just lets you work with persistent Java objects in a
transactional environment. Ozone is Java! No other types than Java types, no
other query/update language than Java, no impedance mismatch!

OQL does define types and behaviour. And this definition _is_ different of
Java. (it has to, because OQL supports Java as well as C++ and ST) But the goal
of ozone is to get rid of anything that is not Java.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2036, bhat prashanth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it Possible to Execute a query and retrieve lets say all
> XML 's stored in ozone with name like Rule*.xml where * may stand for any
> character.
> Please let me know ASAP.
Yes, this is possible, of course. Just put all your stored XML documents in
appropriate collection and let the collection search your documents. Yes, it
has to be done 'by hand', like any other code in your application.

> How do u Implement the OQLQuery interface in org.odmg ? can we use this for
> the above query?. Ozone does'nt have a standard Query interface?
ozone does not support OQL. And I will not work on it because of the above
mentioned reasons.

However, sometimes a descriptive query lang could be of great benefit, also
for ozone. Carl Rosenberger has started a great project to define a query lang
that is real OO. It is called S.O.D.A. - Simple Object Database Access. I was
very excited about this project because I felt it could offer a descriptive
query lang but don't violates ozone architecture. So I asked the list for help
to specify and implement S.O.D.A. Nobody replied...

Falko Braeutigam                              mailto:falko@smb-tec.com
SMB GmbH                                        http://www.smb-tec.com