Re: Status of the ozone project

> > That could be fixed with a new subtype of Set , perhaps, though I expect
that too
> > would be a lot of work. But defining a skeleton class for it now and a
simple (slow)
> > implementation would be a good start. Preferably one that implements
java.util.Set,
> > rather than .DxLib.DxSet - better yet if it implemented org.odmg.DSet.
Seems like
> > the sort of things someone somewhere else has already done... I hope so.

> This is a good point. All descriptive query langs that I can think of are
set
> based. Implementation are fast because they can use indeces. There are
three
> candidates currently: OQL, SODA and, which I'm particularly interested in,
> set oriented XML query lang that yet has to be defined. All could use the
same
> ozone-query-kernel but provide different APIs/fron-ends. Sounds like this
could
> put ozone into orbit ;) Well, much work... What do others think?

I am very interested in the outcome of this discussion.
IMHO all three interfaces are worthwhile having.

The standards OQL and XML are quite clear.
S.O.D.A. is still a "What will it be?"

My personal hopes:
- The simplest Set-Definition-API we can think of within the next 3 months.
- A JAVA implementation that should be Open-Source.
- The capability to use it as a basis for OQL and XML interfaces on top.

I am sorry, not to have had time recently to continue working on a prototype
API.
We will continue. ;-)

---
Carl Rosenberger