Accessing different databases through XML

Hi,

I am a bit new to XML. I was wondering about a problem
of server-database interaction. My problem goes like
this:

Say, I have two databases - Microsoft SQL (say, on
Host1) and Oracle 8i (on Host2) and the hosts are
distributed. I am thinking of exchanging the data
through an XML document.

Now, Host1 needs to access data from Host2(i.e., from
Oracle 8i) and store that data into it's local
database (i.e., SQL). In this case, Host1 is acting as
client and the server has to withdraw data from
Host2's database.

This needs client-side processing too I guess.

My question is how do I do this. I have gone through
some books and I sense that I need to use DOM or SAX
parser on the server side so that I don't have to
write database-specific queries to query or insert
data into the database. Is that right? Also, is there
anything else I need to use on the server-side?

How do I go from here? If anybody have any idea,
please
let me know.

Thanks in advance.
-Priyanka