Serious Persistence Problem

Up until the last two weeks we have never had a problem with persistence in
Ozone. However recently a lot more classes (still only a few 100) and
objects (a few thousand) have been added to the database and now some
objects do not persist properly. The object state is changed immediately
after the method invocation but reverts to its original state after the
database is closed and reopened.

We are using the '/*update*/ tag after interface methods to indicate the
methods that change object state. All the methods associated with the
problem have the '/*update*/' tag. There is no discernable difference in the
very few classes & methods where the problem occurs and others. On my
machine the problem disappeared when I changed the order of loading the
classes and objects, on another machine the problem continues.

I noticed in the generated proxies all the method invocations  have a
Lock.LEVEL_READ. As I recall from earlier days that update methods had a
Lock.LEVEL_WRITE.  I haven't tested this exhaustively but in one case where
values weren't persisting I changed the method invocation to
Lock.LEVEL_WRITE and the value was then persisted properly.

I'm using Ozone 1.0.1 running on NT4.0, JDK 1.3.1_01.

Should the invocation of update methods in proxies have a Lock.LEVEL_WRITE?

If so, how can I compel OPP to generate this?

if not:

a. how does Ozone know which methods require a write after invocation?

b. Is there some setting in the NT, Java, or Ozone environments that could
be changed to eliminate this problem?

Thanks,

Don