How do you handle a schema update?

Hi,

how do you handle a schema update in ozone? If I modify the classes
of persistent objects, I get a serialization exception. This is, what I have
done:

1. I implemented some database classes.
2. I set up the database and filled it with some objects.
3. I modified the database classes (added a new instance variable
  and get/set-methods).
4. I tried to read an object stored in the database, but failed due to
  the serialization exception.

It looks like this cannot work. My question is, how can I "upgrade" the
persistent objects to the new classes (having null values for the new
instance variable, for example) ?

Thanks in advance,
  Lars
--
Dr. Lars Schmidt-Thieme <Lars.Schmidt-Thieme@wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Institut für Entscheidungstheorie und Unternehmensforschung,