Re: extensible ozone API

---------------------- Forwarded by Thomas Strauss/HBG/MS/PHILIPS on 23.10.2000 09:51 ---------------------------

thomas.strauss@germanynet.de on 22.10.2000 21:08:50
To:	Thomas Strauss/HBG/MS/PHILIPS@EMEA1
cc:
Subject:	Re: extensible ozone API
Classification:

Hi

I thing for the described situation something like a virtual constructor
would be a good situation. The context for the usage is known and therefor
the type is known in advance.

Maybe the type information could be transfered with an tagging interface.

Best regards

Thomas Strauss

At 19:48 20.10.00 +0200, you wrote:
>---------------------- Forwarded by Thomas Strauss/HBG/MS/PHILIPS on
>20.10.2000 19:39 ---------------------------
>

>falko@softwarebuero.de@SMTP@ozone-db.org on 20.10.2000 14:04:18
>Please respond to ozone-users@ozone-db.org@SMTP
>Sent by:        ozone-users-owner@ozone-db.org
>To:     ozone-users@ozone-db.org@SMTP
>cc:     ozone-dev@ozone-db.org@SMTP
>Subject:        extensible ozone API
>Classification:
>
>Hi,
>what you all think is a good way to integrate new things in the ozone API?
>Currently virtual the entire API is defined by org.ozoneDB.OzoneInterface. Now
>I'm going to integrate code that provides an XML facade for the objects in the
>database but I don't want to add those methods to OzoneInterface. What about
>one new method that returns some kind of a service interface that extends
>OzoneInterface by the API for a special domain like XML?
>
>public interface OzoneInterface {

>     public final static int     SERVICE_HANDLE_XML = 1;
>
>     <other services>
>
>     public OzoneService service (int serviceHandle)
>         throws Exception;
>
>Other ideas?
>

>Falko
>--
>Falko Braeutigam                              mailto:falko@smb-tec.com
>SMB GmbH                                        http://www.smb-tec.com

Thomas Strauß                                             Tel: +49 40 3861 4876
Gerichtstraße 43                   email (privat): thomas.strauss@germanynet.de
22765 Hamburg                        email (office): thomas.strauss@philips.com
GERMANY