Re: Too many XMLContainers?

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Kevin S. Clarke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use Ozone to store about 150,000 XML documents that are on
> average 1-2KB (the dtd has over 400 elements and attributes, but most
> documents do not contain anywhere near the full number as you can tell from
> the size).
>
> I've added a loop around the new SAX storing sample code that I just
> downloaded from the CVS so that it circles through an array of file names,
> string in the array but left the rest of the sample code pretty much
> alone).  My problem is that after awhile I get an error that the JVM has
> run out of memory...
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>          at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.sendCommand(ExternalDatabase.java:406)
>          at org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.sendCommand(ExternalDatabase.java:376)
>          at
> org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.createObject(ExternalDatabase.java:619)
>          at
> org.ozoneDB.ExternalDatabase.createObject(ExternalDatabase.java:613)
>          at
> org.ozoneDB.xml.util.XMLContainer.newContainer(XMLContainer.java:74)
>          at NewSaxStore.main(NewSaxStore.java:83)
>
> You just wrote:
> >In contrast to ODMG database objects are always explicitely
> >created/deleted in ozone.
> >No garbage collection, see above. Compaction is automatically handled.
>
> At first I thought maybe I needed some sort of garbage collection on the
> server side, but now I'm guessing that maybe I need to change something in
> the properties file of the database.  Is there some documentation (I didn't
> see any on the web site) about what each of the characteristics mean?
Unfortunately there is no such documentation. But in most cases the default
values should be okay. The most important setting is the size of the heap of
the server VM anyway. This can be adjusted via the -Xmx VM option.

Anyway, changing the server properties does only affect the server. But in your
case the client VM runs out of memory.Please send to code of your client.