Re: error

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000, Alex Ang wrote:
> i get this error when installing using make.
> cvs ozone.
>
> DxDiskHashNodeLeaf.java:117: error:Cannot find type
> "org/ozoneDB/core/ObjectID"
> make[2]: *** [classes] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/time/oodbms/ozone/org/ozoneDB/DxLib'
> make[1]: *** [DxLib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/time/oodbms/ozone/org/ozoneDB'
> make: *** [server] Error 2

Honestly, I don't know why this was compiling (or even running) on my box.
It is fixed in CVS.

In ozone the table that maps from ObjectID into objects (in fact it maps into
ClusterID) is stored in a modified B-tree that is implemented by
DxDiskHashtable. If there are many very small objects stored in the database,
if you store XML documents for example, then many ObjectIDs are frequently
used, which inturn means that there are many disk accesses to the pages of the
B-tree. So I tried to optimize the serialization of the B-tree pages by putting
some knowledge about the type of the data, that is in the B-tree, right into
the B-tree implementation. Of course, it was a dirty hack but it did boost
performance. Later I decided to subclass the B-tree for the use within the
ozone kernel to get rid of the dirty hack. Obviously I did not clean the entiry
code and one "ObjectID" was still in the general B-tree implementation. That's
the story ;)

om