Ozone application design issue

I welcome anyone's thoughts or experiences on a design problem for part of
an ozone application I'm developing. The application GUI displays about 12
trees. Most are 2-4 layers deep and with 100-300 nodes. A few trees may
typically have several thousand nodes, and some users may have 10-20
thousand nodes in their application. Associated with each node is an object
whose details can be accessed through the GUI.

The problem is how best to implement the association between the node and
the ozone object considering ozone's client-server architecture.

For performance reasons it seems impractical to have the proxies that are
associated with each of the nodes on the client. Serializing thousands of
10k+ objects just to display thier names and be able to access their methods
seems unwieldy.

My thought is to have the userObject in tree node be a lightweight object
containing only the name for display and an id that could be used to
retrieve the associated ozone proxy when needed. I would use an id since I
believe that ozone doesn't have an object identity object that could be used
for this purpose.  The trees of these lightweight objects would be built on
the server and provided to the client for display. There are many other
considerations such as updating the trees and retrieving branches for large
trees that I'm not addressing at this stage.

My request concerns the basic strategy of using lightweight objects instead
of ozone proxies as the node userObjects. Is there a better way? I welcome
your thoughts, experiences and suggestions.

cheers,

don