Re: Collection-problem [Re: opp bug?]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Sunday, December 10, 2000, at 04:55 PM, Falko Braeutigam wrote:
>
> > Guys, serializing just an inner class (without the outer one) never works in
> > Java. We have to provide a solution for mentioned collection problem but in
> > general the problems of serializing inner classes are not caused by ozone.
> > The semantics of inner classes is different from C++ where this might work.
> >
> > Also, I cannot state in the docs that iterators not work in ozone. This
> > wouldn't be true. It _is_ true that there is an architectural difference
> > between ordinary Java object and database objects, which causes problems when
> > returning ordinary iterators from database objects. But I _did_ try to explain
> > this in the docu already. But the developer itself is never a good docu writer.
> > I asked for help with this very often...
>
> It doesn't matter if it's a Java or ozone limitation, developers can't use it.
This is simply not true.

> You can't return the following things from a database object:
> * java.util.Enumeration, java.util.Iterator
This is true only for the Iterators that are implemented in java.util

> * java.util.Collection
This is not even true for java.util collections. Most of them are serializable.

> * Everything else that is not serializable
This is true only for return values of client side calls.

> Simple, clean, understandable.
I'm trying to force people to _understand_ the ozone architecture. IMHO this is
much better in the long run then just stating that "iterators don't work".

> btw there is also no documentation or example on how to create a non-empty
> constructor database object.

> For example, the correct Java signature for a single String would be
> "(Ljava/lang/String;)", but ozone only accepts "java.lang.String", I don't
> know how to supply a second parameter (an int for example).

You are right, there is no such documentation. ozone is a voluntary project...
you know?