Some observations

Hello,

I just installed and compiled Ozone 0.6 on a Debian "woody" system (Linux),
and Sun's JDK 1.3 (I'm evaluating it for personal and commercial use).

I have made some observations and have some questions:

* Whenever a client closes its connection to the server, the following
exception error is printed on the server side:

   [warn] (105) InvokeServer: handleClientException(): java.io.EOFException: Expecting code

Stack trace available. I will look into this myself, but before I do, is
this a known issue?

* Whenever the database is shut down remotely (with the admin tool, as
suppose to issuing the "q" command on the server), I get the following:

    [error](840) (null): Env.shutdown(): java.lang.NullPointerException
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.ozoneDB.core.Env.shutdown(Env.java:411)
	    at org.ozoneDB.core.Server.main(Server.java:150)

I have looked into this somewhat. My first question is, what's up with the
exception mechanism? :) The trace indicates the exception is thrown at
Env.java:411, but after looking at the code I am convinced that it is
*actually* thrown in the TransactionManager.shutdown() method somewhere.
Unless I'm going crazy, but I don't see how the reference to the transacton
manager could possible be null when Env.shutdown() gets executed. I will
look into it further, but I might aswell ask to see if there is a known
explanation first.

So, is this a known issue?

* What's the standard procedure for people who are not part of the
development team to submit patches? At the very least, I intend to add
support for JDK 1.3's shutdown hooks, so that it can safely clean up during
system shutdown.

* I made a very simple half-ass test application that basically creates an
object in the db and then removes it. I then made it do this 30 times. This
takes several seconds to complete (in other words, it's extremely slow),
however CPU utilization during the process is not even notice:able on my
icewm indicator (5-10% max, probably less). For some reason, the client or
the server seems to be going into sleep for brief periods of time - I don't
know how else to explain this. Both client and server is on the same computer.

* Is development active? Mailinglist activity sure seems to be, but the news
on the website has bee sparse for a while :)

Is this a known issue (I'm getting repetetive, I know :))?

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com