Re: Some observations

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Peter Schuller wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
>
> <snip/>
>
> > * What's the standard procedure for people who are not part of the
> > development team to submit patches?
>
> I'm not a commiter to this project but usually the zipped or tgz'ed
> output of the "cvs diff -u ..." command will be the best.
>
> > At the very least, I intend to add
> > support for JDK 1.3's shutdown hooks, so that it can safely clean up during
> > system shutdown.
>
> What is the targeted JDK so far? I'd like to stay at 1.2 for now because
> other platforms don't have a 1.3 jdk (ie. BSD and Macs AFAIK).

1.2 so far. But there are just a few classes that actually need 1.2 features.
Should be possible to get it working with 1.1 too.

Shutdown hooks are just nice to have. They don't affect the core engine. So we
may check at compile time if we are on 1.2 or 1.3 and skip the1.3 classes if on
1.2. Could this be an option?