Re: Some observations

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Sean Allen wrote:
> > Here's my test app:
>
> > import java.io.*;
>
> > class version {
>
> >     protected static void printProperty(String prop) {
> >         System.out.println(prop + " = " + System.getProperty(prop));
> >     }
>
> >     public static void main(String[] args) throws
> IOException,InterruptedException {
> >         String javaversion[]={"/usr/bin/java","-version"};
>
> >         printProperty("java.vm.specification.version");
> >         printProperty("java.vm.specification.vendor");
> >         printProperty("java.vm.specification.name");
> >         printProperty("java.vm.version");
> >         printProperty("java.vm.vendor");
> >         printProperty("java.vm.name");
> >         System.out.println("Calling java -version:");
>
> >         Process javaproc=Runtime.getRuntime().exec(javaversion);
> >         javaproc.waitFor();
> >         InputStream data=javaproc.getErrorStream();
> >         for(;data.available()>0;System.out.print((char)data.read()));
> >     }
> > }
>
> > And here's my output:
>
> > java.vm.specification.version = 1.0
> > java.vm.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
> > java.vm.specification.name = Java Virtual Machine Specification
> > java.vm.version = 1.3.0
> > java.vm.vendor = Apple Computer, Inc.
> > java.vm.name = Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
> > Calling java -version:
> > java version "1.2.2"
> > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.3.0, mixed mode, internal release build)
>
> > No property told the right version. Is this a bug?
>
> > andy
>

> > --
> Sheesh!!
> depend's,
> are you using an Apple MRJ, if so, maybe there is a problem with apple's
> implementation,
> same program (only changed location of java string, to location on my
> box)
> give's me following output
>
> java.vm.specification.version = 1.0
> java.vm.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
> java.vm.specification.name = Java Virtual Machine Specification
> java.vm.version = 1.3.0
> java.vm.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
> java.vm.name = Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
> Calling java -version:
> java version "1.3.0"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0, mixed mode)
>
> which as you can see, look's right
> er. I dunno, I don't have enough experience on the Mac but from the
> look's of it
> maybe your actual Java version (not JVM) is still using Java 1.2.2 core
> API's
> I dunno, maybe check with Apple

Guys, I'm fine with all of the proposed solutions. However, for the shutdown
hooks calling the methods via reflection seems the most straight forward
solution to me.

Anyway, reworking the code in order to properly use a yet to be defined ozone
ClassLoader model is needed to make the reloadClasses() call work. In other
words: any ideas regarding the ClassLoader issue are still welcome ;)