> > Subject: Re: XML and JNDI
> > Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:57:33 -0400
> > From: Steve Tinney <stinney@sas.upenn.edu>
> >
> > Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> > > It seems that PDOM does not cut the DOM to limit the number of independently
> > > stored nodes. If this is no problem, we only need to implement DOM on top of
> > > OzoneObject and we are done!?!?
> >
> > Fwiw, I would say just go ahead and store the whole DOM, no cutting.
> > Those with huge datasets will probably have huge machines, no?
> >
> >  Steve
>
> Sorry Steve, I can't agree with you.
> For me one of reasons for databases to exist is:
> 1. Persistent storage
> 2. Ability to work with data (tables/documents/whatever) that can't fit in RAM.
>
> I don't want only ability to store whole DOM tree in the Ozone and retrieve it
> again.  I want to query and update this document when it resides in Ozone, and
> this query will return only specific Nodes of the DOM, not _all_ the DOM tree.
I think this is not was Steve was saying. Of course, the DOM nodes will be
stored independently as OzoneObjects. The problem may be the overhead of the
database when storing small objects (like DOM nodes). To avoid this I was
thinking about clustering of nodes. Actually, Steve do not want such tricky
things. He want each node to be stored as an independent database object. So,
you are of the same opinion. Right?

> Any comments ?
>
> Here is (maybe a little off-topic) new SUN's Java-XML Data Binding Proposal:
>
> http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_031_xmld.html
>
> it's might be very useful for XML and OODBMS integration.
Thanks for this link. I will check it out.

> Thanks for interesting discussion :)
So far not that noisy like the Cocoon list - but we are coming ;)