Re: How to list database?

Tim Brown wrote:

> Falko Braeutigam wrote:
>
>      Tim Brown wrote:
>      >
>      > I was wondering how to delete all objects in a database
>      without
>      > knowing what is in there.  Is this possible?
>      >
>      > It would also be nice to be able to list them out.
>      Currently you cannot browse the database if you do not know
>      the named
>      root objects and the structure of the classes. So it is also
>      not
>      possible to delete all objects without knowing these things.
>
>      However, it is possible to develop such an ad-hoc browsing
>      tool because
>      the structure of the database classes can be retrieved via
>      Java
>      reflection. But currently I do not know if such a tool is
>      really needed.
>      Because it would only be able to _show_ the object structure
>      of the
>      database. What do you think?
>

> I think it wouldn't be worth spending alot of time on if you cannot
> edit objects or delete them.
It is not possible to edit the attributes of an ozone object because
ozone realy is object-oriented. That is data and operations form an
integrated whole. So you can change the value of an attribute via
methods only. Therefore an ad-hoc browsing tool would have to call
methods to actually change the state of an object. And, because there
are no inversions for the methods it is not possible to invoke a method
just to se what happens - ones a transaction is commited you cannot go
back. These are the reasons why an ad-hoc browsing tool does not seem to
be that useful.

softwarebuero m&b                          http://www.softwarebuero.de