Re: Enquiry regarding Ozone

Mak Yeu Wen wrote:

> Hi Falko,
>
> > If I understand correctly, it's for the integration of different data
> sources.
> > (?) Ok, but integrating ozone with other data sources like RDBMS or even
> other
> > ODBMS seems to be quite difficult because ozone does not support standard
> > interfaces like SQL, OQL, JDBC and such things. ozone is simply a 100%
> pure
> > OO, pure Java DBMS. So you whould have to implement a wrapper on top of
> ozone
> > to make it co-operate with the other data sources. And if you do so all
> the
> > advantages of ozone may be lost. Am I right?
> >
> No. I do not wish to use a wrapper on top of ozone. Instead, a wrapper is
> used for the legacy db connections such as an Object-Relational mapper
> (JavaBlend for eg).
>
> I want to manipulate as pure an object model as possible in memory. In such
> a scenario, the programmer is totally unaware of the database schema. And
> therefore he cannot issue any SQL calls. But I must admit that OQL support
> would be quite handy at times.
Hmmm... but what is OQL? In my eyes it's a transmogrified SQL and SQL has
nothing to do with any OO principles. It is just the wish to save some things
from the good old days of RDBMS. Yes, many ODBMSs support it because people
think they need standards to be successful in the commercial market but from
an "academic" point of view all the OO languages, databses, GUIs, whatever are
not based on a straight, clear, mathematic theory like RDBMSs. All the OO
ideas together are more a paradigm then a complete theory. So many different
implementations of the OO paradigm are possible and this is great. Anyway, an
uniform interface of all OO databases may or may not be a good idea but in any
case OQL is not a suitable solution - just my idea.

Implementing an OQL parser could be an interesting work but what is left of
the ideas of ozone when accessing it via OQL???????

softwarebuero m&b                          http://www.softwarebuero.de