Fwd: Re: ODMG 2.0

Subject: Re: ODMG 2.0
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:50:35 +0200
From: Falko Braeutigam <falko@softwarebuero.de>

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is Ozone compliant (or will be compliant) to ODMG 2.0 Java binding  ?
Oh boy, that's a difficult question!

Some time ago we discussed this already here on the list. The conclusion was:
Yes, it would be nice to have but it is not one of our main goals.

I do not like ODMG 2.0 because it is called and should be a standard but it
isn't. In no meaning of the word. I know, these are very heretical words but is
is the truth in my eyes. Yes, I have the ODMG spec on my desk and I try to
follow their Java binding but what is this for, if we do not implement the
entire spec? But we do not want nor we are able to implement all parts of the
spec.

We do not want it because (for example) OQL is part of the spec. The
vision behind ozone is to find a way to do the entire application development
in Java, not just the business logic and another part in a absolutely
incompatible language/system. And now we do not want to implement OQL in ozone
just to be "ODMG compliant".

And we are unable to implement all of ODMG because they have such things in
their spec that are simple incompatible to ozone. Example: [page 234, "Object
Persistence"] - "In the Java binding, persistence is not determined at object
creation time." Hmmm.... what can I say? Most of the ODMG members are C++ db
guys with page servers or at least decentral activation. Persistence by
reachability is ok for them. ozone has a Java based central activation
architecture. I cannot see a way around the createObject() calls. So we are
simply not able to implement ODMG with ozone.
Of course, we could say so. And it would not be "really false" but what is a
standard good for, if all implementors can say they are compliant but in real
world it is not possible to run the same code on different platforms? In my
eyes, that's the case with ODMG.

Am I wrong? Do you really need ODMG Zvi?