Re: [Fwd: ODMG 2.0]

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Ann Tecklenburg wrote:
> While my opinion was not requested, IMHO:
>
> On ODMG:  I think Falko is right.    So far, neither the the object
> DB's  nor  OQL has acheived alot of product penetration.  Also, IMHO,
> XML is already replacing object DB's for just about any sort of "object"
> that can be described with text.  Also, XML handles tree-structured data
> fairly well and XQL seems to be the emerging query language for XML
> data:  XQL implementations already exist.  (Although none of them are
> open source (or free), yet.)
>
> As to your boss (especially if he is a manager-type):  Perhaps what he
> really want is to be able to rummage through all the data in your
> "database" ad-hoc.  He might be satisfied with an object-tree GUI built
> using the swing tree control in Java that will display all the data
> stored by your application.
What his boss and we all really want is, in my eyes, vendor independance (see
my other posting). However, a tool to visualize and manipulate the object
structure in the database would be a great and important thing to have. But I
would not call it an "ad-hoc" tool. But it is not important what we call it, it
is important to have such a tool available.