Re: problem

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> Am I to understand that if I do not flag a method as update
> type the changes are not stored?  I thought the flag was to
> have locking to avoid collisions.  This is how it is acting
> but I thought the proxy passed everything over to the server
> regardless if it is locked or not.  I am confused a little.
> Do you want this problem on the list?
That's a good idea. Maybe this is confusing other users too...

Yes, if a method is not flaged as update method, the changes made within the
transaction of this method are not persistently stored! Yes again, a write lock
is set when an update method is invoked. It does both!

Of course, it would be possible to store everything after each transaction. But
then the server would be very slow. On the other hand, ozone (like all the
other OODBs) is not able to figure out, if an method changes the state of an
object but it needs to know to set the proper locks. So the programmer has to
explicitly provide these information. Why not using this information to speed
up the database by not storing unchanged data?