Re: ozone whitepaper?

Hi Evan,

> > There is no need for a special disk address because in ozone we load the
> > whole cluster and insert all passive objects into the ClusterSpace. This won't
> > work very good if we don't have the ClusterSpace, but we have ;-) (in ozone of
>
> So do you need to keep clusters quite small? I mean, what is typical
> size in terms of bytes or average number of typical objects?

The default size of a cluster is 64k but it's configurable. Small clusters are
better for small objects. The problem is if you've got an object with a size
of e.g. 100k the cluster where the object is stored will be at least 100k. I
mean there is no object splitting. So if you have an application with creates
larger objects it's a good idea to increase the cluster size to get a little
advantage of the cluster space cache.

> > Yes, this really important ! ozone is going to be a EJB-container and
in this >
> Ozone is sounding better and better! :-)
>
> > Why application-level "RAID" ? E.g. for Linux there as an excellent software
>
> True...
>
> > 1. We try to optimize the memory managment of ozone together.
> > 2. You could also develop your own 'PersistenceSpace' which could be compatible
> > ozone. We could develop a plugin interface, so that a user can choose which
> > memory managment (s)he want to use.
> >
> > I see a third way: at the moment ozone leaks class versioning, i.e. migration
> > of objects from an older class version to a newer one. I think, this is also a
> > important point for persistence managment. Sounds that interesting to you ?
>
> All sounds very good. I'm interested in open source database
> for opensource Java mail client I want to write (for myself),
> and also in future ecommerce, which I'm very interested in.
>
> I would love to be collaborating on Ozone, if I'm able to help,
> rather than have independent OODBMs project, and will try
> to understand Ozone better, design, code, etcetera,
> participate in mailing list, and take it from there.
>
> I have some ideas that might not be compatible with Ozone's design (where
> our targer/design goals might be differ), but if that is the case, and
> unless there are overwhelming reasons why my application needs those
> features/performance -- I'd prefer to be collaborating rather
> than starting something different from scratch...

Okay, what do you think where you could join in the ozone development ?

Best Regards
Gerd

Gerd Mueller                               gerd@softwarebuero.de
softwarebuero m&b                    http://www.softwarebuero.de