Subject: Re: (IDEA) High performance XML/HTTP web database with performanceIndex (in Java)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:06:36 -0700
From: "marc.fleury" <marc.fleury@ejboss.org>

Kevin,

sorry I answer privately, I don't want to hog the list while the vote is
going on (you know ethics and stuff).

The problem you raise is very close to one we have in EJBoss.

Let me explain.  We are convinced that SQL and relational databases have
a huge impedence mismatch for the web and EJB in particular.  The more
vocal EJB advocates dismiss the RDBMS altogether for the webOS.  We are
also convinced that for people that write applications on the web, the
actual schema of the database should be transparent, i.e. you want to
"store" objects not necessarily deal with row and tables.

This is fine and dandy but the main problem we encounter is that the
finders required in the EJB spec (i.e. find all the destination object
in a travel app that have the "china" field) is very hard to do in OO.
Namely OQL might not be the most efficient way to do it.  XML search is
*much* more attractive.  You don't need to know the complete structure
AND logic of the object (it's class) to run searches on its persistence
representation (xml file).

One possibility raised by Falko (main developer behind Ozone from
Sofwarebuero) is persistent DOM representations (would match the future
java serialization engine output, XML as you know).  Then we could do
searches from teh java layers on this persistent XML file (happens to be
an enterprise bean but could be anything as you point out).  In short
this is a great idea, and we would use a finite subset of it, which
could be a first step.

SO this is more a FYI and a first "touch base" with some EJBoss folks .

regards

marc