Re: New Site and v3

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Hi Falko,
>
> Firstly, nice looking site upgrade! Someones been busy with the Gimp!
>
> Just a question I had with version 3.0 (I haven't unbundled it yet). There
> was an issue with the OPP proxy generator with packages in 0.2.x whereby
> classes defined in a directory structure e.g. com->foo->bar, and the Java
> classes within being com.foo.bar.X, failed when OPP tried to generate the
> proxy classes.
Not yet fixed. I will try to work on it later this day. If I'm unable to come
with a solution, it would be great, if you could have a look at it on the
weekend.

> Has this been fixed? My work around was to dump all classes in a base
> directory and remove the package tag, but this won't work for big projects.
> If not, I can have a look at this on the weekend as I've got some time
> free; with this resolved it'll be a big aid I think.
>
> I'm more and more liking the thinking behind the OODB methodology, esp.
> after reading some of your replies to the RDBMS/OODBMS debate. What is your
> next step in terms of the querying language/methodolgy? I read briefly the
> notes on the XML repository but wouldn't mind getting a clearer
> understanding of this.
Until yesterday in my eyes the entire XML stuff in ozone has nothing to do with
the general problems of query languages in OODBMSs. Now I understand that from
the outside (non OODBMS programmer) it seems to be straight forward to use XML
query tools (declarative query languages for example) to search in OODBMSs
(ozone), if this oodbms supports XML already. BUT, to do so, we would have to
represent any kind of object in the db in XML (DOM) - and this is _not_ what we
are doing right now. Currently we are working to store XML in ozone. (not ozone
in XML!)

I tooks me quite a while to get this idea ;) Now I like it more and more and I
think it should be possible to present the content of the db in DOM (XML). Then
we could use Anns XPath implementation (and all other DOM based tools) to
query/manipulate the db content.

For the future:

1.) finishing current DOM implementation; try to use it with DOM based (query)
tools (XPath, CDQA,...);

2.) incorporate old DOM into the ozone core to be able to use ozone as
XML repository _and_ query/manipulate DB content via XML tools

3.) working on ODMG support and synchronize this with 2.) _but_ OQL is not an
option