Re: Fwd: XML Server

Hi Ann,

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding !

Ann Tecklenburg wrote:

> I have checked out the mail archives, etc. on this project:
>
> It would be nice if somebody would write an "ideal" XML server,
> but I don't think this will be the one.

Don't you think it's too early to say ;=) ???
Up yo now, we are just compiling a list of features and all is still
widely open !

> IMHO, SQL is the *wrong* choice for a QL for XML and
> the W3C seems to agree here, and they have  IMHO a poor
> design for their engine.

No decision about the storage to use has been taken yet.
3 different paths have been defended with strength from participants to
the list :

1) RDBMS
2) XML flat files
3) hierarchical (or object) storage structure.

My first feeling is that it's a very hot topic (sometimes more religious
than objective :=) ) and that it probably depends on the context.

If you have a huge legacy system in RDBMS from which you want to publish
a part, a gateway to a RDBMS is probably fine.

If you have a huge number of static documents to publish, XML flat files
can be a good choice.

If you're goal is to manage a dynamic web site from which you want to
allow users to update the content, something different has probably to
be invented...

We would like to define a layered and modular system where you could
plug one (or several) storage below a common interface and language.

This would not only gives us the benefit of postponing the discussion
about the storage ;=) but also allow to accommodate the different kind
of needs.

The analogy is maybe not perfect, but it would be a kind of ODBC for
data sources seen as XML.

> They appear to be *not* interested in Java, but in C++.

Another religious subject !
I have said that I thought C++ was faster and more "neutral" (meaning
that any other language like java, perl, php, python, tcl, ... could
interface more easily to C++ libraries than to java).

Here again, no decision has been taken and the prototype will be written
using Jpython (which is more java than python...).

> Also, I checked out the dbXML project:  its barely gotten
> started and is also in C++.

Can you tell me what is so bad with C++ ?

> The whole Apache.org effort is much more interesting.

More real in any case : we're just a dream ;=)

> Best Wishes,
>
> Ann Tecklenburg

Eric van der Vlist                                              Dyomedea

http://www.dyomedea.com                          http://www.ducotede.com