Re: [Fwd: [xml-server] Prototype. 2 hot issues.]

Falko,

Thanks for adding me to your mailing list (I hope Ann hasn't been too
surprised by my answer :=) ).

Our project hasn't really started yet, but I'll keep posted and see if
we could use your persistent DOM in the future.

Is it already part of your 0.3 release ?

I don't know yet if our dream will become true and if we'll be able to
help your project in any way, but I would be happy if you could borrow
anything from our discussion !

Thanks,

Eric

Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Another mail from the xml-server list. Much of the ozoneXML components are
> > > mentioned.
> >
> > Looks like you've been faster to discover our list than me to discover
> > the ozoneXML project ;=)
> >
> > As you've seen, one of the 2 key questions at the moment for us is :
> > > 2. Is there any free "persistent DOM" implementation ?
> > and we would be very interested to learn more about your project.
> The main future directions of the ozone development are
> 1 - ODMG support (maybe EJB container on top of ozone later)
> 2 - XML repository
>
> We have started playing with DOM by implementing a persistent DOM based on
> ozone (Java OODBMS). This is already part of the current distribution. But it
> cannot be used in real world applications yet. We wanted to show that it is
> possible to implement a persistent DOM on top of an OODBMS (ozone) and that it
> can be done very fast. There are two problems with the current implementation:
>
> 1 - it's very slow.
> Today each node is a database object. So each method invocation on a node is a
> transaction!... Once we have high level tools like Anns XPath implementation
> that can run inside the server, the whole thing will become much faster.
>
> 2 - node explosion.
> Again, each node is one database object. To come around this problem some kind
> of clustering of nodes is needed. This functionality must be provided be the
> database server, it cannot be put in the DOM implementation. So we have started
> to re-work the cluster management of ozone to meet the needs of applications
> that deal with very small object. Most typical application fall into this
> category anyhow.
>
> > The other key question is about the validation of the language we're
> > considering to use.
> >
> > If you can have a look at the following thread :
> > http://www.egroups.com/group/xml-server/22.html
> > and give us your feedback, it would help us a lot.
> Another ozone developer should answer this. (Ann?)
>
> > You'll see that it's quite different from XOQL, one of the reasons being
> > that we would like to extend XSL-T to allow updates on the DOM itself.
> >
> > I wonder if both are not complementary...
> >
> > What do you think ?
> Ann?
>
> Falko
> --
> Falko Braeutigam                         mailto:falko@softwarebuero.de
> softwarebuero m&b (SMB)                    http://www.softwarebuero.de

Eric van der Vlist                                              Dyomedea

http://www.dyomedea.com                          http://www.ducotede.com