Re: Fwd: XML Server

Yes, but tamino is not build of top of a RDBMS :

"Tamino is built on a new architecture designed specifically for XML. It
is much more than a new database." (I quote their web site).

I wouldn't be surprised if tamino was built on top a hierarchical model
which is the model which with Software AG started with before RDBMS...

I agree with Ann, the best choice to store XML which is a tree isn't a
RDBMS but a hierarchical (or OO which has a similar physical structure)
database.

Eric

Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ann Tecklenburg wrote:
> > I have checked out the mail archives, etc. on this project:
> >
> > It would be nice if somebody would write an "ideal" XML server,
> > but I don't think this will be the one.
> >
> > IMHO, SQL is the *wrong* choice for a QL for XML and
> This one is clear ;)
>
> But there is a small"but". SoftwareAG, a german database company, has been
> providing its database software for 20+ years I think. So they seem to be very
> experienced with database development. They never started an OODBMS - but the
> _have_ a XML server called tamino. (somewhere at http://www.softwareag.com)
> So SQL is indeed the wrong choice but maybe not the whole relational thing.
>
> Don't get me wrong, we are here to make a pure OO, pure Java database! ;)
>
> > the W3C seems to agree here, and they have  IMHO a poor
> > design for their engine.   They appear to be *not*
> > interested in Java, but in C++.
> As far as I see, most of the w3c specs depend on Java.Is there any chance to a
> C++ based XML server whatever?
>
> > Also, I checked out the dbXML project:  its barely gotten
> > started and is also in C++.
> >
> > The whole Apache.org effort is much more interesting.
> Perfectly agree in general. But in the Cocoon (Java Apache Web publishing
> framework) mailing list there is a discussion about a "XML repository". Today
> cocoon is DOM based but they decided to use SAX instead of DOM to be able to
> handle huge documents on small computers. In other words: provide a scalable
> solution. To mee it seems that they do not believe that something like a
> persistent DOM can be done. I known this cannot be the reason but I got this
> impression.
>
> Zvi is a member of the cocoon list and is more experienced with cocoon than
> me. Zvi, can you clarify this a bit?
>
> Anyway, we should try to come up with some working code to be able to show
> something instead of only talking. That's why I stoped posting to the cocoon
> list.
>
> Falko
> --
> Falko Braeutigam                         mailto:falko@softwarebuero.de
> softwarebuero m&b (SMB)                    http://www.softwarebuero.de

Eric van der Vlist                                              Dyomedea

http://www.dyomedea.com                          http://www.ducotede.com