Re: Fwd: XML Server

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Hannes Haug wrote:
> > Falko Braeutigam wrote:
> > >
> > > But there is a small"but". SoftwareAG, a german database company, has been
> > > providing its database software for 20+ years I think. So they seem to be very
> > > experienced with database development. They never started an OODBMS - but the
> > > _have_ a XML server called tamino. (somewhere at http://www.softwareag.com)
> > > So SQL is indeed the wrong choice but maybe not the whole relational thing.
> >
> > Tamino is at http://www.softwareag.com/tamino
> > Software AG doesn't have an OODBMS, but their "real" product,
> > Adabas (http://www.softwareag.com/adabas), is a hirarchical
> > database not a relational one.
> Hmm... IMO I did neither say that adabas is an oodbms nor that tamino is based
> on an RDBMS (see Erics mail). All I wanted to say is that there are other ways
> to efficently store XML besides OODBMSs (ozone).
Sorry if this was not that clear. To clarify this a bit more I quote from a
discussion with Ismael of Exoffice. He is interested in ozoneXML but he also
pointed out that something like "THE XML server" will never be developed. We
should try to identify the application domains where we want to use ozone(XML)
and then optimize it to fit exactly the needs of these applications.

Ismael:
> Most of my confidence in this very specific field comes from following what
> does a German company: Software AG. This very old independent software
> vendor (30 years old) has a very long history in the database field. They
> started to make a very powerful hierarchical database engine, and then made
> the most powerful relational then object-relational database engine: Adabas
> D. Adabas D has been for a long time the only database natively supported by
> SAP R/3 with Oracle. And more interesting: Adabas D has the unique ability
> to store the data in a way that makes useless its regular re-organization.
> To make it simple: these guys are quite good developers :-) The interesting
> point is that these guys have never been interested by developing an ODBMS.
> Not that it was not fun. I just like to think they knew from their own
> experience that it was quite impossible to make a scalable ODBMS which could
> be used in a mission-critical production environment supporting distributed
> transactions in a very secure way. And they were right... But at the same
> time, these guys, for any kind of reason, decided to take the core engine of
> Adabas D, to make some serious hacks on it, and to use it as the core engine
> of the X-Machine, the core engine of Tamino, there brand new XML repository
> [http://www.softwareag.com/tamino/default.htm]. If these guys did that, I
> see absolutely no reason to think that the XML repository will not be the
> next back-end of web-aware IT infrastructures.
> My wish would be to get Ozone to be the PostgreSQL of XML repositories...
> And the work you have done with Vincent and Ann make me think that this
> could become a reality quite soon. Doing so, developers will get the ability
> to develop there application using XML as a core way to model their data and
> deploy it using Open Source software only. It might not have the scalability
> and the fault-tolerance of products like Tamino or the XML repository I
> expect Oracle to deliver in the future, but if they need this kind of
> high-end features, they will certainly have the money to buy these products.
> In the meantime, the availability of Ozone and extensions like CDQA, XOQL,
> the XPath and XQL front-ends, and MonsterDOM will dramatically ease this
> kind of ideas to spread into the community of web-applications developers,
> which is IMHO the most important thing for most of us.

I don't agree with him about OODBMSs in general. But I agree that a SQL/C++
based solution, as well as ozoneXML, as well as any other solution, will not be
the "ideal" XML server. (but ozoneXML will be "more ideal" than SQL;)

This idea was not clear from my initial posting, sorry again.