Re: What is the query language/s for Ozone?

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Ann Tecklenburg wrote:
> Christopher Vigny asked me:
>

> > What is the langage off an ozone procesor ?
> >

> I don't know.
>
> I do know for sure that XML uses
> XPath for path selection and XML is a strong
> trend for the future.  Also, any future XML query language
> (which is what I originally intended to work on)
> will have alot in common with XPath which is why
> I suggested doing XML+XPath now.  XML+XSLT
> also has the obvious benefit of getting Ozone
> connect to the "web" via servlets.
>
> The real question is what do users of Ozone want?
>
> Another question is what can Ozone's current
> developers realistically acomplish given limited
> resources?  (Softwarebuero has contributed a huge
> amount already.)
>
> If the Ozone project gets too unfocused, nothing
> worthwhile will get finished!
Agree, this is a big problem. We should try to organize the development a bit
more.

> A note to ozone-users:
> If you can code, do research, or just test other's code and
> write documentation, I encourage you to volunteer.  There
> is alot of work at all levels that needs to be done, especially
> if Ozone's reach and feature set is to be extended and maintained.
agreed again ;)

Today there are only 50 members in the mailling list and very few of them
actually writing code. Until now, this was ok with me. Because it already takes
me much time to reply to all mails regarding ozone, keep my company running
_and_ write ozone code. But now it seems to me that we need to get more
developers and users jumping in. It should be no problem to generate noise on
any level around "The Ozone Database Project". But first we need better
organization.

I suggest the following:

- name: The Ozone Database Project

- constitution, member and voting style like apache; the organization
should consist of several sub-projects (core, XML, EJB, admin ...); there is
one developer responsible for the development of every sub-project.

- every sub-project is represented by its own web pages and maybe own mailing
lists on ozone-db.org.; presentation, voting, members, white-paper publication
should be able on ozone-db.org --> we need servlet based application running on
ozone-db.org.

- public cvs on ozone-db.org

something alse?

Ok, I will try to setup CVS server ASAP. But we should discuss all ideas
regarding constitution of the organization first.