Re: ODMG 3.0 Java Binding available for download

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Zvi Avraham wrote:
> Package org.odmg for JDK 1.1 and 1.2
> Free download for the ODMG 3.0 Java Binding
> You can download the package org.odmg for the ODMG
> 3.0 specification.   It is available for both JDK 1.1 and 1.2.
>
> http://www.odmg.org/

Ha! That's great! Now I don't need to guess about correct interfaces any
longer. I just had a quick look over the odmg package. So far it looks like
expected. But one thing: seems like ODMG sees the need for explicite
create/delete methods now! Unfortunately this is only for "transient" object.

We will seriously start to work on odmg AS SOON AS the groundwork is there.
Yes, the new store back-end is taking shape but this stuff is really tricky to
handle and so I try take as much time as needed to come up with a good solution.
Once all this is done, ODMG support (at least Database and Transaction) should
not be that difficult to implement.

BTW: I stumbled across a problem of passivation. (That is the feature that
allows the database to temporarely store objects on disk even if these objects
are currently "joined" to a transaction.) In most cases this is no problem but
what happens or should happen, if such an object is "invoked" (on the stack)
when the database tries to passivate??? Currently I do not handle this case
explicitely because it should happen under very rare circumstances only. But EJB
servers should have the same problem. Anybody here familar with the EJB
solution for this problem?