Re: OODBMS papers needed

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mon, 20 Dec 1999 Johann Romefort wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I just would like to know if anybody have some good url
> >to give me about the way of thinking OODBMS, and the
> >general philosophy coming along with it. Something about
> >Relationnal-Object mapping and main difference between
> >RDBMS and OODBMS would be really appreciated too.
To speak about the "general philosophy" behind OODBMSs in general is always a
problem. There is no strong "OODBMS theory" as you know this from RDBMSs. *IMHO*
the main idea of all object databases is (and should be) to reduce the impedance
mismatch between OO programming language and database system. But I guess there
are OODBMS developers that do not agree even on this "simple" point. However,
the main idea behind ozone *is* to extend the Java object model only where
this is really needed (object identity, persistency) and let these things be as
transparently as possible to the programmer. That especially means that ozone
does *not* need a special query or data definition language.

> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Johann
>
> You may have a look at:
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/clamen/OODBMS/Manifesto/htManifesto/Manifesto.html

To learn more about the ideas behind *ozone* you may also read the archive of
the ozone mailing list.

http://ozone-db.org/mail-main.html