Re: JDO

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001, Joel Shellman wrote:
> I think I asked this before also, but can someone remind me why JDO is
> not an interesting API for Ozone to support?
It is. Some guys liked it more than others but it definitely is an interesting
API for ozone to support.

> I realize I haven't read
> the spec yet, just a few overviews of it and such, but it sounds like
> exactly the transparent persistence that I've wanted. You just create a
> class and boom, it's basically automatically persistable--you don't have
> to do anything to it. That's what I want. Just throw the object in the
> db, and go on your merry way.
Last time I read the spec it stated that classes and/or source have to be
pre/post processed - something like OPP, which you hate so much ;) Anyway,
maybe they changed this.

> Seems I remember someone mentioning that JDO is still tied to RDBMS
> somehow. Is that so? If so, who can I send the really nasty email to
> that obviously really deserves it for making a brand new "pure" (or so I
> hoped) API tied to dead ugly legacy trash?
The spec lead I think ;) Carl and probably many others did already and it seems
that newer versions of the spec are more OO now ;)

> :) No, I'm not usually this harsh--I'm just in a hurry, and I'm really
> tired of trying to find the solutions I really need but no one else
> seems to have implemented (at least, not in Free Software anyway).
The beginning of any open source software, isn't it ;) At least you don't need
to code the entire oodb system... :)