From: William Uther [mailto:will+ozone-db@cs.cmu.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 2:11 PM
To: ozone-users@ozone-db.org
Subject: RE: Ozone

Hi,
  I'm somewhat surprised people are having major difficulties.  I compile
and run Ozone 4 on a mac (jdk 1.1.8).

  Yes, I've found I have to rip bits out of the source to get it to
compile.  (No makefiles or batch files and I haven't written an Ant build
file yet.)  I posted the list of stuff to remove not so long ago.

  Anyway, on to Ozone:

  - Ozone seems to be a reasonable OODB.  Open source is cool.
  - The idea of keeping all processing in the server is a good one.
  - Ozone currently does not support ODMG standards, although that is being
worked on I believe.
  - Ozone requires more work than some other OODB's I've seen in that it
requires you to specify an interface for each 'ozone class'.  The problem
I've found with my project is that almost everything ends up being a
proxied class and so you end up doing work to keep things in sync.  Other
systems just require you to build the implementation and then generate both
the interfaces and proxies using an OPP-like tool.
  - Ozone doesn't currently allow proxied objects to be used as keys in a
hashtable.  More generally, it doesn't allow you to use an object where
non-standard serialization is used and accesses a proxied object during
de-serialization.  This is a tricky bug to fix (I think I know how, but it
would require some non-trival architecture changes and hacking).

later,

\x/ill         :-}