RE: eXelon performance

> I might add that I talked to an IBM DB2 developer and
> they are not doing anything special about optimizing
> XPath queries in DB2 at present.  Literally, the
> DOM elements are stored in the database and either
> treated as normal tables and columns and queried with
> SQL
> or the XML is exported and parsed and
> queried via XPath, externally (or something like that.)
> They are *not* doing any real optimization of an XPath
> query and don't seem to be doing any serious work about
> such at present.

Thanks for the info. I won't plan on using DB2 for XML storage ;-)

Oracle is doing the big XML hype thing. Wonder how there tools stack up. I
believe you can store XML files in 8i and then do . syntax type queries. I
think it is simular to the . syntax type SQL3 stuff? if not the same.

> (At one time we had discussed doing a sophistocated
> magic set or GA optimization, but we have abandoned
> this for complexity and lack of time.)

Over my head... that is for sure.

-david