Re: Object Relationship

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Kenny Go wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have some questions about ODBMS:
>
> 1) How to build the object relationship like parent & child relationship in
> RDBMS?
ozone is an OO database which fully supports the Java object and programming
model. So inheritence is done via subclassing.

> 2) What is the use of addForKey??
addForKey is a method of DxMap (adding an element/key pair) which is the map
interface of DxLib. We are using DxLib in the ozone core, therefore it's part
of the distribution package. You may also it for your applications but you don't
have to. You can also use Java2 collections or any other collection library
together with ozone.

> 3) In createObject, one of the parameter is to specify object name. Does it
> meant for an identifier of a object (like identifier of RDBMS record)?
No. Names are not the primary identifier of an object in ozone. There are also
createObject() methods that do not have this parameter. Giving a name to an
object (making a so called root object) is a way to find the entry point to the
database (the root) from a newly started client.

> 4) What is ODMG? From what I understand, it is a standard group of object
> data storage. But, why is it that ozone has some methods to implement it? Is
> this another type of ODBMS?
ODMG is a so called standard for OODBMSs. It more or less defines an API that
OODBMS vendors can support. Such a standard makes it easier to write vendor
independent client code.

We are trying to support ODMG as far as possible.

> Most of the question that I post are related to RDBMS concept that I am used
> to work with. Is there any article or information that I can get in order to
> understand better in ODBMS?
We here at SMB will throw all our related bookmarks together an make them
available at ozone-db.org. Should be availbale in the next few days. Please, if
someone knows about a good source of OODBMS related info, mail it to me.