copyObject: deep or shallow copy?

I wonder if someone can give me a quick answer to this question.

Does Database.copyObject() to a deep copy or a shallow copy?

By way of example:

Say I have a three-layer deep graph of database objects that I want to use as a
template.  This objects are ititialized and maintained in a "blank" state.  I
want to do a deep copy of this graph when creating a new instance of an object
which contains this graph, but I don't want to get references (and thereby
modify) the original "blank" template objects?

Does this make sense?  Am I babbling?  I don't know...

Also, I seem to recall someone saying that copyObject had some performance
advantages.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Nathan Probst