Re: Request for experiences/advice

On Fri, 05 May 2000, David K. Kim wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am evaluating Ozone for use in a commercial
> product (a medical expert system for cancer pain
> management).
>
> Ideally, much of the logic would exist as Java
> middleware, and I am trying to avoid using an RDBMS
> on the back end (e.g. with a poor-man's Object-
> Relational mapper).
> An ODB would seem to make better use of
> development time in that persistence would occur
> more naturally.
>
> My concerns are
> 	-fewer programmers in the U.S. with ODB skills
> 		(a concern for longevity and maintenance)
> 	-commercial systems are costly
> 	-I can't tell how mature and well-supported Ozone is
>
> I would love to use Ozone since I think it's a
> great project.  However, I need to understand better
> the level of support before betting someone else's
> (my company's) resources on this.
>
> Would anyone be so kind as to share their experience

Dave, it's always hard to answer such common questions. Even if a user would
come up with his/her experiences this wouldn't help you that much. In any
case you have to check performance, robustness and that kind of things yourself
- in your particular environment.

> using Ozone in this way?
> 	e.g.	-Robustness/bugginess
C'mon guys, tell us your experiences!

> 		-Documentation (yes, I know, I know...)
Bad. There is only javadoc generated (sometimes incomplete) documentation of the
APIs.

> 		-Overall ability to "transparently"
> 			integrate with development work
Real good, I hope.

> 		-Performance (esp. with a LocalDatabase)
Compared to what?