Re: Object Creation in ozone

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Tim Brown wrote:
> I think you are suggesting the oodb would call the parameterless constructor
> and then your app would call the other?  I do something similiar with my
> construct() method.  What is needed is what Don suggested which is a method
> ozone would call after the object exists, like init().
>
> I think such an init() method could be called by the object creation thread and
> work fine.  At least I cannot think of a reason why not after having looked at
> the ozone code for this.

Using callback methods seems to be a good solution here. There is one already -
OzoneCompatible.done() is called when the object is deleted - but it isn't a
common design pattern of ozone yet. However, callback methods seems to meet our
(Don's) needs perfectly. Right?

So I propose to add two new methods to OzoneCompatible:
	onCreate();  //called right after the object is created
	onDelete();  //called right before the object deleted

Things like preStore/postLoad would make sense only if we want an equivalent of
EJB's bean (object) managed persistence in ozone.

onCreate()/onDelete() are introduced by OzoneCompatible. They could be default
(empty) implemented by OzoneObject so that one doesn't need to implement both
method for all database object. But I'm not yet sure here. Keeping both methods
abstract would force the programmer to implement them, which may help to keep
the special requirement of the database object in mind. ?