Re: Proposal: New XML Storage Engine

Hi Zvi,

thanks for your fast reply.

On Sam, 12 Aug 2000, Zvi wrote:
> looks similar to GMD-IPSI PDOM implemetation. Only they using Index of clusters,
> instead of your scheme, where each cluster points to next cluster.
> Each node can be identified by Number-of-Cluster in the document and Number-of-Node
> in the cluster.

Uhh, from where did you get such internal information about GMD-IPSI? Is there
any whitepaper out there? Are these information available for public?

Anyway, we have try to adapt ozones architecture. And ozone uses cluster for
object pooling - so we now have ozone clusters containing node clusters. This
fits much more better into the ozone architecture then thousands of individual
nodes.

BTW: It is not written anywhere that one may not copy good ideas. ;-)

> There are will be issues of grabage collection - you can not delete Cluster, until at
> least one node used.

You are right. But the underlaying storage backend is responsible for doing it
in the most clever way. ;-)

> Also this violate Ozone policy of "object never leave server", b/c Cluster will not
> live inside server, but wrappers for individual nodes will live on client side.

You saw your mistake already. ;-)

> How transactions will be implemented? Per-node or per-cluster?

Do you mean locks? Normally I would say 'per-cluster' but this highly depends
on the underlaying storage backend - wizard-store or something else. This
underlaying storage backend is responsible for locking. I think Falko can
explain this much better ...

Regards,
Lars
Lars Martin                                 mailto:lars@smb-tec.com