Re: transient fields

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Lars Steiger wrote:
> ok, this is really a simple and straight forward way -
>
> ... but ...
> iif I want to set this field through a methode like setTransientField(
> TransientField tfield ) I get a java.io.NotSerializableException ... I guess
> because this class (TransientField) was not postprocessed by myself.
>
> ... conclusion of a rookie ...
> iis it right that every class that appears inside the interface of a persistent
> capable class must be postprocessed, but if I define this class with the keyword
> 'transient', while using it as field, it will not become persistent ...

You are mixing independent things together.

1. In order to allow ozone to send parameters of a remote method call thru
the wire, all classes that are used as remote method parameters have to be
Serializable. No postprocessing ist needed.

2. If you declare a field 'transient!, then it is transient no matter if it is
Serialiable or not. But if the field is _not_ transient, then it _must_ be
Serializable.

3. Postprocessing (OPP) is needed for independent database classes only. These
are classes that provide an OzoneRemote interface and that are directly accessed
from the client or another database object.

Does this clarify things a bit?

Falko