Re: BLOB question - Subclassing BLOBContainerImpl

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001, you wrote:

> I've been working with Ozone for the last 3 weeks and it's impressive. What a great find. I hope that all the contributors to Ozone have a real sense of accomplishment and pride in their efforts. Let's see what you can do next!
>
> I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a design issue I'm currently wrestling with. I'm working on an application where I want to use a BLOBContainers to store the contents of  HTML documents. Currently I'm using a Vector to store the collection of documents.
>
> In one approach I defined a "Document" class as an OzoneObject.  The class contained a BLOBContainer. When running the application, I noted that the clusters being created didn't look like they were using BLOB pages. I arrived at this conclusion by seeing that the cluster size was 64k or less. I noticed when doing some prototyping and creating BLOBContainers directly (rather than having them contained in a persistent object) that the cluster size was over 100k.
>
> In the second approach, I made the "Document" class a subclass of BLOBContainerImpl. (i.e. I had an interface "Document" that extends BLOBContainer and a class DocumentImpl that extends BLOBContainerImpl and implements Document).  This also resulted in the same problem where it appears BLOB pages are not being used.
>
> Is it required that the BLOBContainerImpl class NOT be subclassed to work properly? Or am I simply doing something wrong? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Subclassing might be a problem because of the update methods which probably not
marked properly then. Have another database object containing a BLOBContainer
should be straight forward but I did not actually test this. Maybe turning
BLOB debug messages on (debug variable in BLOBContainerImpl) would help to see
what's going on.