Re: java Collections

José Carlos Meira e Silva wrote:

> I did not understand the question. I used SortedMap (TreeMap) collections
> like a persistent ozone object atribute and worked. The garage sample uses a
> collection.
> Are you saying that all proxy objects  of the collection are loaded to
> memory at one time? (even if that consists of 1000000 of elements?)

If you are using a standard java Collection or any other third party object, which
is a black box (the ozone database can know nothing of its internals), then I
believe ozone can only use standard object serialization.  This means the entire
object (and its "object graph", or all reachable objects from that object) will be
serialized and deserialized together.  If the collection contains 1000000 proxies,
they will deserialize all together.  For small collections it's not a big deal, for
larger collections you may want a special implementation that keeps proxies on disk
until they are asked for.

I'm fairly new to object databases and not quite familiar with ODMG, but looking at
the API documentation that comes with ozone, I assumed that's the intention of the
odmg collection interfaces provided there.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  If anything,
I'm biased by my familiarity with XL2, which takes this approach (http://xl2.net/).

Jim Newsham